Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

House of the Week



I have loved this beautiful brick house for as long as I can remember. As a child I loved the details at the eves, the symmetry and the gorgeous dormer windows. For a good bit of my teenage years we lived on the same street as this house, and so I got to ogle it every day as I drove to and from school. Enjoy these pictures!






The dormers are just beautiful: well-proportioned and graceful. The slate on the sides is the traditional way to treat them, assuming one has the money for a slate roof.

Below are my own dormers, right after they were built, we don't have slate on the sides, but they are pretty.














Isn't this house perfect?! Stay tuned tomorrow for an exciting announcement about a fun Fall event that is happening near this house.

All photos by Whitehaven

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful house. I can understand why you don't post the address, but I am always curious! Love the dormers, and love yours too - that graceful little curve at the top of the top of the window pane is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this has to be Lullwater or Springdale (right next to my mom's!) Am I right? I recognize it. So classic & lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous sunroom/sleeping porch upstairs. Reminds me of government quarters on many military posts across the country- stately, beautiful and full of character and history. Would love a peek inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's in Ansley Park near another favorite of Whitehaven World Headquarters. Hip roof, quoins, 2 dormers, chunky keystones on both floors, split driveway, should be easy to spot on a drive-by. This one is not hiding on an hilltop or estate.

    I have a favorite a few houses south towards the Christian Science Church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tire of looking at this house - every time I see it, I love it. Timeless appeal. And Terry is correct about the location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is also a Neel Reid. The story goes that he refused to add the side porch so the original owner had it added - it is said to be based on a porch in Charleston.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom called me the other day to tell me that she thought this house was a Neel Reid. I have looked in my Neel Reid books to confirm this, but can't find it listed in the list of his projects. I'm going to ask my grandmother, who has lived in Atlanta for her entire life (since 1913). She will know and then I will post the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen-
    I'm dying to know...do you sneak up to these houses in the middle of the day (while no one is home) and snap a few quick pictures? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, if you ever need a partner in crime, i'm game!

    ReplyDelete